"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Amazed

This past week has been busy as usual, but great.  Last Sunday night I went over to one of our professors' homes for Sunday dinner.  Mind you, he invited our entire class of 176 students and their friends and family.  Of course, not everyone could make it, but we estimated that there were around 110 people there.  His name is Dr. Curtis LeBaron and he teaches our Leadership course.  He is truly amazing.  We had our last class with him on Wednesday and he spoke to us about the character of Joseph Smith and then ended by reading from the Book of Mormon when Christ visited the Americas.  He then shared his testimony with us, which none of our teachers have done so far, and I am glad he did it.  I LOVE that I am in a place where our professors can talk about religion freely.  That was Wednesday.

We found out on Friday that Dr. LeBaron's father was hit and killed by a car as he was walking in a cross-walk.  My heart aches for him and his family.  At the same time, I know they will be okay, he will be okay, because he has a sure foundation, a testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ who will make it possible for their family to be reunited again.

Friday night I went to a singles party for the MBA and Law students.  It was held at a home in Provo on Osmond Lane.  It was a lot of fun!  I played a new game (well, new to me) around a pool table.  Who knew I would be so good at it and win!  I developed quite a reputation.  Afterwards we were joking that it was pretty funny to watch all these competitive MBA students play a game, running wildly around a pool table....we all want to win!

Today (Saturday) I spent at the Tanner building with my team.  We split up and some of us finished working on our Finance case that is due Monday and I some worked on our Marketing presentation that is also due on Monday.  I was there from about 9am-4pm.  When I came home my brain was fried and I just wanted to sleep, so I did a little bit.  Then I mustered the strength to attend Stake Conference at 7pm.  I am so glad I did.  Without fail, the Saturday night adult session of Stake Conference is one of my most favorite church meetings to attend.  It seems like the messages I hear are more candid, it feels more personal, I just loved it.  We heard from a member of the Seventy, Elder Monday.  I don't know if that's how you spell his name, but that's how it's pronounced.  He is from England and had a fantastic sense of humor, but also a deep humility that went along with his message.  It was powerful and sacred.  I look forward to hearing from him again tomorrow morning.

The main message I came away with is the word "rescue."  What can we do to rescue others who need it the most?  How can we live the gospel and do things because we really want to from our heart, and not just on the surface because it's our duty?  Heavenly Father is real and loves us.  He wants us to have everything he has.  Grip on to the iron rod, and don't let go, you'll find that someone else is also helping you to hold on too - your Savior.  Never give up...persevere as parents.  Even when FHE or scripture study or family prayer is not going well and kids are fighting, never give up or give in.  These activities will be the glue that keeps our families together.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is amazing.  It heals my soul.

No comments: