"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Did somebody push the "easy" button?

It's been almost 4 months since I started my new job.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I think it's safe to say that human nature causes us to fear the unknown.  Well, now that I "know" what it's like I keep asking myself if I am missing something?  It just seems too easy.  Maybe that's because I am comparing it with the grad school experience, which just about sucked the very life out of me slowly over two years.  


I had a "mini" mid-year review today with the manager of our rotation program and it went very well.  I got some good feedback and it helped me to realize that my years of work experience really have given me a unique advantage in this situation.  I know that sounds obvious, but to hear that expressed by someone I work for helped to solidify this idea in my mind.  I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and gosh darn it people like me!


I think the Lord is blessing me by giving me a break in the work area so I can focus on other more important things in life.  We have sister missionaries in our ward and I've had them over for dinner a few times.  I also attended a discussion last Saturday night when they were teaching two men.  They texted me today and asked if I could come to another discussion on Friday night.  So, it's time to get to work in the Lord's vineyard...the field is white, already to harvest.


The other thing I've been working on is running and improving my health.  Now that the weather is so fine here it's great to go outside for a walk-jog.  I ran a couple nights this week and played volleyball tonight.  


Teaching gospel doctrine has been so good for me too.  I really enjoy reading and studying the lessons and then trying to listen to the Spirit and figure out what would be most important to talk about in our class.  The past couple of weeks it seems like more and more people are coming to my class, which is great.  We've had some really good discussions and I've felt the Spirit as we share thoughts and experiences.


So, for now I will take the "easy button" blessing and just go with it.  I am sure more challenges lie ahead, but it's good to have a break once in a while!

No comments: