Today I've been sitting and pondering over the events in my life over the past week or so. Here are some of the random thoughts that have come to me over this time period. I hope you enjoy!
I attended a single adult conference on September 17th and the keynote speaker was Randal A. Wright. He has a Ph.D. in family studies with an emphasis on the impact of electronic media. He is the author of several books, including Families in Danger: Protecting Your Family in a X-Rated World and Achieving Your Life Mission.
Random Thought # 1
The thought that has stayed with me from his address was this:
"We shouted for joy to come down to earth. Did we shout for joy to sit and watch TV for 4 hours a night, endlessly surf the internet, and be mindlessly entertained by movies and video games? I think not."
Random Thought # 2
As I was walking out of Walmart I looked down at the pavement. It was so dirty and gross. Immediately a scripture came to my mind that we had discussed in our Relief Society lesson last week.
"I saw the beautiful streets of that kingdom, which had the appearance of being paved with gold." Doctrine and Covenants 137:4.
My random thought was this: Will we remember how this world was when we are in another, much more glorious place than this? Will all the blood, sweat, dirt, and tears be forgotten?
I can't wait to see the beautiful streets in heaven.
Random Thought # 3
I don't remember where I read or heard this recently, but it was a thought from a church leader about creating our day spiritually before it happens.
I decided to try doing this by praying specifically for things in the day that I wanted to accomplish. I also took out a 3x5 card and wrote down a few goals for the week. There is power in writing down goals. I was able to accomplish most of them and the ones I did not have now been transferred to a new 3x5 card for this coming week. In an effort to keep life simple I am going to try this out for a while and see how it goes. I don't need some fancy electronic calendar. I just need the little 3x5 card that I can carry around in my purse all week and refer to when I forget what needs to be done.
Random Thought # 4
Last night I attended the General Relief Society meeting at our stake center. It was packed. I loved being there and listening to the talks. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf gave such a wonderful talk. I've thought a lot about his "Golden Ticket" analogy because it's a perfect way to describe the situation that we all face. We all have different golden tickets that we hope for, but he reminded us not to forget to be happy while we are waiting for these dreams to materialize. If you missed his talk, click on this link here.
He described those who are happiest are filled with gratitude and wonder. Ah-ha! A new goal for my 3x5 card.
Where ever you are, if you are reading this, I hope you are well!
Love,
Sonya
1 comment:
President Uchtdorf's talk was great! I enjoyed reading your thoughts :) We miss you!! Hope you're doing well.
Post a Comment