"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Orientation is Over!

Wow!  Time is flying.  This past week I spent Monday-Wednesday finishing up orientation. We focused on updating our resumes, learning how to network, and how to be interviewed.  It was all really good training and I have a lot of work to do to polish up my skills in these areas.  I personally have not been interviewed for a job in about 8 years, but I have been the one doing interviews.  It's a bit different to be on the other side of the table now as the interviewee.  The part that I find the hardest is trying to remember specific situations to talk about because I worked for so long and everything gets all jumbled up in my memory.  I think I am going to follow one of the suggestions to create a master resume that no one else sees but me with all my experiences.  Then I can pick and choose what I want to put on a resume when applying for internships and jobs.

The highlight of the orientation for me was getting to hear from Sheri Dew.  She spoke to our class and talked to us about the divine gift of influence.  We can all be leaders where ever we may be and influence others for good. She is an amazing lady and I have great respect for her.

Thursday-Saturday I just tried to rest a little and get caught up on organizing myself and doing homework for the first day of class next week.

I wore dress shoes on Wednesday for the interviews and did not plan on walking all over campus with a classmate, but I did.  I got terrible blisters and could barely walk by the end of the day.  Thankfully, they are healed now and I should be ready to go on Monday.

Last night I went to a party for the single MBA and Law students.  It was fun to mix and mingle with everyone and get to met some more new people.  One of my goals is to become a better networker - I keep thinking about Holly and how she can "work a room."  Maybe someday I can be like her..... :)

1 comment:

almondjoy said...

Orientation is the best!

- Aubrey