"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Midway

Wow, I can't believe that the first half of the semester is over at the end of this week!  The Marriott School cancels classes during the week of Oct. 18-22 so that students can take business trips to find jobs.  This year I am mainly focusing on the companies that are recruiting at BYU.  I had two interviews last week and one interview this week, so I will see how this all plays out very soon.  There are a few more companies that I am applying to as well in November.

This year I am on the leadership team for a club called Women in Management.  We had a speaker come to talk to us about Power and Negotiation from a woman's standpoint.  It was very good.  One of the take-aways for me was to ask for things more often.  Women often don't ask for what they want or need, but instead remain quiet.  So, I've been trying this out with little every day things.  For example, I went to eat Pho last Friday and because I was sick all I wanted was to drink the tasty broth.  I thought to myself, "I wonder if they do refills on the broth?"  So, I asked the waiter and he did it for me!  Ah, the power of asking.  No, I am not saying that everything we ask for will be granted, but it never hurts to ask.  The worst thing that could happen is to be told, "no" and that's not so bad.

In this line of thought I have been pondering a scripture, Matthew 7:7-11, to my job hunt.  I know the Lord knows my situation.  He knows I need a job and he knows where I should be.  I just keep asking that I will be my best self when I interview so that I can find the right fit for me in this next stage of my life.

Well, I am procrastinating doing another writing assignment because honestly, this is much more fun.  But, if I want to finish the class and turn in the paper by next Monday I better get cracking!

If you are reading this little post I hope you are doing well!

No comments: