"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, August 19, 2010

August - vacation...sort of

Wow, I can't believe the first two and a half weeks of August have passed already.  It's been a whirlwind since I left North Dakota on July 30th.  I will back up a bit and re-trace my steps up to this point.

I finished up my internship at Halliburton on Friday, July 30th.  I left that Friday after work and began the drive to Billings, Montana.  I cannot adequately explain in words the feelings I had as I drove away -  but simply put, it was bitter-sweet.  I felt a great sense of accomplishment, knowing that I had given my best and done what I could for the company during those 3 short months.  I was grateful for the relationships that were built.  But now I was leaving that all behind.  I was excited to come back to Utah and see family and friends again.

I stopped overnight at the home of my friend, Kari Jorden.  Their family was on vacation, but they were gracious and let me stay the night while they were out of town.  It was such a blessing to drive up and have a place to stay for the night.  I rested and got up the next day, ready to make the rest of the journey home.  Little did I know that my originally planned 9 hour trip would turn into a 15 hour trip!  I stopped at the Post Office in Billings before I left town but it was closed.  On my way out of the Post Office I found a $5 dollar bill laying on the ground right outside my car.  So, I picked it up since no one else was around and said a quick "thank you!"

Fast forward to lunch time.  I pulled off to get a bite to eat in Bozeman, MT.  As I was exiting the freeway I noticed a man with a sign who was begging for some help.  My first thought was, "give him the $5, it wasn't yours anyway."  So, I did.  I kept thinking of King Benjamin's words in Mosiah 4:21-22.  It was a good experience and reminder for me.

After lunch I drove out of town and took the scenic route through the Gallatin pass.  It was absolutely beautiful and I am so glad I did it.  When I came to the fork in the road to either drive on to Yellowstone National Park or drive on to Utah, I went to Yellowstone!  This is something I've wanted to do for such a long time and I felt gleeful and giddy as a 5 year old kid who gets a new toy they've always wanted.  I drove around the park from about 3pm until 8pm!  That still wasn't enough time.  I do need to go back again someday when I have a few more days to spend up there.  It was so beautiful and peaceful.  I felt a sense of awe and reverence as I looked at the different landscapes and animals.  I felt the Spirit of God in that park so strongly that it was overwhelming at times. (Alma 30:44)

So, at 8pm that night I began the 6 hour journey to get back to Orem, UT.  I loaded up on Diet Coke and gas and off I went!  I few hours later, it was time for a bathroom break and a Diet Pepsi.  This stuff kept me going until I got home around 1:30am on Sunday, August 1st.  I was so wired when I got home that I did not go to bed until 5am.  I got up around 8am and drove myself to my brother John's home in SLC, where he then took me to the airport for my flight to California.  WHEW!

I spent 8 wonderful days in Southern California with family.  It was nice to see San Clemente and the beach & sun again too!  I spent two of those days with my sister Shari and her family, which was fun!

Monday, August 9th.  Back to reality.  I was in Utah again and had to finish unpacking my room.  (I moved my things into the basement room at my Uncle's home in Orem back in April.)  I spent this week getting my life organized and also spending time with Heather's family.  I even went on a bike ride with my dad up Provo canyon.  It was challenging and fun!  I helped Heather with a furniture refinishing project so she could reclaim her garage for the car this winter.

Now we are to this week - I have been attending BYU's Education Week.  It has been so wonderful.  I am glad I made the time to go to some classes and have my mind opened up to some more of the mysteries of God.  I may write about some of these insights later when I have a chance to digest them.

Next week is the last week off before school starts again on Monday, August 30th.  I am volunteering some time to help out at the MBA orientation for the incoming class of 2012, and then I will be going on a river rafting trip the last part of the week with the MBA HR group from school.  It should be a lot of fun!

I think this next school year is going to be really great!

My first stop in Yellowstone...I thought this was Old Faithful.  Boy was I wrong!

Here is Old Faithful!

Waiting in a long line of cars while the Bison play in the road and people gawk!
Lake Yellowstone - it is HUGE!  The picture does not do it justice!

Sunset outside of Island Park, Idaho





Bug graveyard on my front grill....gross!

My mad skills at taking self-portraits...j/k!  It's gonna be a great year!

5 comments:

john + becky said...

It is great to have you back! The summer sure seemed to go by fast. Thanks again for meeting up with us the other night for shakes!

Ali said...

So glad for the update. I wondered what you had been doing since the end of July. Sounds like you had a ton-o-fun, and I so wish I could've gone to Ed. Wk. again! Where do you live now? E-mail me your address...I have something to send you. :)

shari berry bo-berry said...

it is going to be a great year! are you used to your hair yet? I think you look gorgeous dah-ling!

Sonya said...

Shari - yes, I am used to the hair color now. I like it!

Sonya said...

Becky & John - thanks for the cheeseburger and shake! That hit the spot!