"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What a difference a year makes

You know that song, "What a difference a day makes, twenty-four little hours...."  Well, today I have been thinking back to what I was doing a year ago.  Lately I often catch myself thinking, "if I could have seen into the future, to this very day, what would I have thought?"  Here I am sitting in a classroom, surrounded by intelligent and bright individuals.  I am with a study group of people that are all brilliant in their own rights.  I am practicing to talk to recruiters for a career expo coming up in October.  I am reading books and articles out the wazoo!

What a difference a year has truly made in my life.  September 16th marks the one year anniversary for my decision to come back to school.  I remember vividly the prayers and the struggle I had to get to that point.  It took me about 6 months to finally write it down (on 9/16) and then another 2 months to actually quit my job and step out onto a new path.

I am mentally challenged everyday - probably more than I ever have been in my life.  I am still trying to figure things out, it's only the 3rd week of school.  When I begin to doubt myself I have to remember that I am enough, that I can do this.  This experience is truly stretching me in ways I never expected - socially, emotionally, mentally, and physically.

Today we had the honor of listening to President Monson - he spoke at the BYU devotional.  He is wonderful and I was grateful that during the middle of a school day I could stop for an hour and listen to the prophet of God.

So, as I struggle and worry and work I try to keep the eternal perspective in mind.  This too shall pass....more quickly than I probably want it to.

No comments: