"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sunshine When Clouds Block the Light....

Yesterday I took the GMAT, and I did not do as well as I had hoped. As I worked through the day and felt great disappointment I saw the Ensign sitting on the desk by me. It was opened to a page with a quote from Marvin J. Ashton. He said, "Good cheer is a state of mind or mood that promotes happiness or joy...With God's help, good cheer permits us to rise above the depressing present or difficult circumstances. It is a process of positive reassurance and reinforcement. It is sunshine when clouds block the light."

Considering my state of mind yesterday, that quote meant a lot to me. I was able to work through my disappointment and see the sunshine through the clouds. I also realized a few things about this particular situation that I had not considered before.

The recruiter at BYU said that most people spend 4 months studying for the GMAT. I only spent 1 month and I fire-hosed myself with information to the point of physical and mental exhaustion. Needless to say, I also suffered socially and felt very isolated because I felt pressure to study, rather than to enjoy time with friends or family once in a while. I did not have enough time to do very many practice tests, and therefore I was not as confident with my pacing on the test as I should have been. I also realized, after I added up the years, that I have been graduated from college for almost 15 years! I should have probably eased more slowly back into the full-time student mode and not been so demanding with myself.

With all of that said, it is definitely not an excuse. I am still forging ahead, with a spirit of optimism in my heart. I now have about 12 weeks before the May 1 deadline to study and prepare more fully for the test. I have mapped out my study strategy, and I will also be allowing myself time to play and relax so that I have a better balance in my life over the next 3 months.

I know that all experiences are for my good, even when the outcome is not what I would have hoped for. It's through my weaknesses and trials that I can be made strong, with the help of the Lord.

1 comment:

shari berry bo-berry said...

sonya you are amazing and such a good example. I wish I was more like you!