"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, August 28, 2008

By Small and Simple Things.....

One of the ideas that came to me this week was to listen to more uplifting music on the way to and from work. I spend at least an hour in the car every day driving to work in the morning and then home at night and I thought this would be a good way to start my workday off. Normally I would just listen to the radio and change the stations a million times to find a song I actually liked. So, I popped in a CD with church hymns sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. After a particularly long and somewhat stressful day I was glad to turn on the car and hear “The Lord Is My Shepherd.” The words to all these songs bring so much peace and perspective. I started to realize that I needed to let go of some of the small things that I get worked up over during the day and focus more on Christ. I find that I can get very easily distracted during the day and I don’t think of Christ that much. I hope that as I continue to listen to this inspirational music that the words and music will pop into my head just like songs from the radio used to during my workday.

I can see the hand of the Lord in giving me the thought or inspiration to do this. It’s a small change in my life that will have a big impact on my spiritual growth day by day if I continue the practice. I believe that we can still have balance in our lives while still striving to become a disciple of Christ daily. There is a quote that I love from Elder Neal A. Maxwell that has deep meaning for me. He said, “If we are serious about our discipleship, Jesus will eventually request each of us to do those very things which are most difficult for us to do.” So, I have been examining what those things may be in my life. As I listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost I know he will tell me what those difficult things are that I must do. Then it’s up to me to do them and come to know Him even better than I ever thought possible.

No comments: