"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, June 20, 2011

First Day of Work

Today I started working again.  I must say that the 2 months I had off after graduation FLEW by...I wish I had more time to goof off, but alas, the bills must be paid.

Orientation began at 9am.  I stood in a line to get my badge picture taken.  Then I stood in another line to do my I-9 stuff.  Then I sat in a huge room with about 50+ other new hires and listened to presentations on the company culture and benefits.  It ended at noon and then I met up with two other HR rotation new hires and we went to lunch with the HR rotation group.

After lunch I got my "system" a.k.a. laptop.  I could not figure out why they kept saying "system" and then it dawned on me they were talking about computers.  I won't be able to log on until Wed or Thur...apparently it takes a few days to get everyone's stuff loaded into their system after orientation.

Then I hung out for a bit waiting for my new boss.  We walked over to a meeting where I observed him and another employee being interviewed about their jobs by a summer HR intern.

I had parked my car at building 2 in the morning, so when it was time to go home I had to walk quite a ways from building 3 to my car in 100 degree weather.  It was nice....

So, not that exciting yet but you have to start out slowly!

1 comment:

john + becky said...

That is exciting you started your new job!! Hope the rest of the week goes well.

p.s. I like the new pictures on the side of your blog :)