"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good things. Believe that no mountain is so high that you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. You are not destined to be a scrub. You are a child of God, of infinite capacity. Believe that you can do it - whatever it is that you set your heart on. Opportunities will unfold and open before you. The skies will clear when they have been dark with portent.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Good Reminder

Today in church I was reminded of some very basic principles. Yesterday I had strange feelings of worry. I started to worry about where I was going to live this summer. Then I started to worry about my homework assignments that I don't know how to do. I worried about my decreasing savings account. I did not like these feelings, but there they were...

I know where worry, fear, and doubt come from and it's not a good place. As I said my prayers before going to bed last night I prayed that I could wake up the next morning and start the day fresh, free from these feelings and attitude that I had felt all day.

It was there in church that one of the youth speakers shared a great scripture. It was the answer to my prayers.

"Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." (Joshua 1:9)

I let that scripture sink into my heart and mind. I focused on remembering this truth. I know I will have to continue to fight this fight as I face challenges throughout life. For whatever reason, these struggles seem more pronounced now than they ever have been. My guess is that it is the combination of leaving my comfort zone of a job and home and being continually challenged and stretched at school. I am trying to learn how to deal with all this change at once and keep my spirits high and my motivation strong. It's a fight! But to the one who wants me to fail I say, "Put your dukes up! I'm not going to lose this one!"

No comments: